*** NO BOX AND NO COA *** 50 CENTS – HOWLING WOLF – BIG COIN SERIES – ALEX COLVILLE DESIGNS – 2017 5 oz Fine Silver Coin – Royal Canadian Mint
50 CENTS – HOWLING WOLF – BIG COIN SERIES – ALEX COLVILLE DESIGNS – 2017 5 oz Fine Silver Coin – Royal Canadian Mint
In 1967, a unique set of circulation coins captured the spirit of a young nation celebrating a milestone anniversary. Designed by artist Alex Colville, the 1967 Canadian Centennial circulation coins are still beloved today for their historic relevance, and for their understated elegance that is beautifully conveyed on the fifth coin in this continuing series of Big Coins.
- FIFTH coin in an unforgettable series that celebrates Canada’s 150th anniversary and the 50th anniversary of the 1967 Canadian Centennial circulation coins.
- Never before have these iconic designs been featured in 99.99% pure silver—and on a much larger scale (65.25-mm diameter)—uniquely enhanced with stunning gold plating selectively applied to the reverse and obverse.
- The proof finish is gorgeously enhanced with modern polishing techniques that highlight the meticulous engraving of each subject.
- For added historical authenticity, the obverse features the second effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, as it appeared on the original coins.
- Purchase individually or subscribe today to guarantee all six coins: each subscription comes with an elegant wooden collector case that will beautifully showcase the coins together as one complete set.
- Third Big Coin series to feature iconic Canadian circulation coins: Previous ones sold out very quickly; given the popularity of the original designs, and a low mintage of just 2,150 coins per denomination, this series will be highly sought after.
- An eye-catching addition to any Canadiana-, history-themed or circulation coin collections.
- A great opportunity to revisit a proud moment in our history while celebrating another key milestone!
The reverse re-creates the 50-cent circulation coin designed by Canadian artist Alex Colville, and features the side profile of a howling wolf. Detailed engraving re-creates the animal’s outline and conveys the texture of its fur as it sits on its hind legs, its head tilted up to the sky to release its cry into the air. The image is enhanced by the application of selective gold plating over the wolf and all along the coin’s rim. The reverse also features the engraved face value “50 CENTS”, the word “CANADA” and the commemorative dates “1967-2017”.
Material: 99.99% pure silver